Muirhead's Scotch Whisky was originally produced by Charles Muirhead and Sons, an Edinburgh-based whisky and wine merchant, which was founded in 1824. The company later branched out and blended and exported Scotch whisky under the brand 'Muirhead's Blue Seal'. The company was brought by Macdonald & Muir Distillers, now known as Glenmorangie Company, in the 1920s.
Today, the brand is owned by an independent family distiller who also own Tullibardine Highland Single Malt Distillery. Muirhead's has always maintained a close relationship with the Muirhead's Clan. The name 'Muirhead's' translates to 'Head of the Moor' or the 'highest point of the Moor' in Gaelic.