The name Dry River was originally held by a historical Martinborough sheep station
(circa 1877) near what was initially called the Waihora River. Established in 1979, the
Dry River winery is located in what is now called the Martinborough Terrace, a gravelly,
free-draining area within the lowest rainfall zone in New Zealand’s North Island.
Established in 1979 by scientist, and passionate wine man, Dr Neil McCallum and his
wife Dawn, it was sold in 2012 to New York investor Julian Robertson and Napa Valley
winemaker Reg Oliver.
The new owners have provided the means for necessary winery expansion and renovation to meet its present needs as a producer with an outstanding international reputation. The wines of Dry River have been masterly crafted by Chief Winemaker, Wilco Lam, since 2014.