The blended Scotch whisky made by the Chivas brothers can trace its roots back to 1801 with the opening of their grocer’s store in Aberdeen. The store specialised in selling luxury foods, coffee, exotic spices, French brandy and Caribbean rum to its wealthy clientele. By 1842, the brothers were supplying the royal family at Balmoral Castle, and in 1843 Chivas Brothers was granted a Royal Warrant to supply Queen Victoria.
The brothers began a tradition of cask-aging their whiskies in the cel-lars beneath their store, and they began to blend their stocks. In the 1850s they launched Glen Royal, their first luxury blend, which eventually lead to the creation of the Chivas Regal selection of blended, aged whiskies. The Chivas Regal home is the Strathisla distillery, founded in 1786 and the oldest working distillery in the Highlands.