With its roots in the 16th Century, Saint-Pierre is a classified Fourth Growth and
probably one of the most underestimated classified growths in Bordeaux. It was
purchased in 1767 by Baron de Saint-Pierre, during the reign of Louis XV, and was left
to his two daughters in 1832. It was subsequently divided and sold off.
In 1982, Henri
Martin of Château Gloria bought the complete estate, restored the château and ramped
up the winemaking techniques. The current proprietors (and residents of the château)
are Martin's daughter and son-in-law, Françoise and Jean-Louis Triaud.
vineyard is planted in 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc,
with many of the vines close to 50 years old. The wine is not made here though; it is
instead transport to Château Gloria for vinification. With some serious investment of
both time and money over the last fifteen-odd years, the wines of Saint-Pierre are on a
roll and have never tasted better, with both the 2009 and 2010, in particular, standing