CHATEAU PRIEURE LICHINE
Reflecting the Church’s long love affair with things vinous, Prieuré-Lichine was founded back in the 12th century by monks who used it to produce the vinos for their meals and religious ceremonies. The church hung in there until the French Revolution, when, in a ‘no-more-wine-with-dinner’ moment, the estate was seized, divided and disposed of.
The portion that became Prieuré-Lichine received a Fourth Growth classification in 1855, and a much-neglected 11ha property was acquired in 1951 by Alexis Lichine (a.k.a. ‘the Pope of Wine’) who, with much patient dedication, restored vineyards and cellars to their former status. Lichine, along with a consortium that included Count de Lur-Saluces of Château d’Yquem, invested heavily and seriously expanded the estate that now covers 78 hectares.
It was sold to the Groupe Ballande in 1999, and they astutely employed the ubiquitous Stéphane Derenoncourt as their consulting oenologist. God knows how he fits it all in; with his name everywhere, there must, by now, almost be more pies in play than available fingers.
Margaux, Bordeaux, France
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot