The slopes of Pavie first felt the touch of vines at the hands of the Romans in the 4th
Century AD, however it only found fame as a Bordeaux producer a couple of millennia
later. By the mid-19th Century Pavie was recognised as one of the first classed growths
in Saint-Émilion. The estate was divided in two in the late 1800’s, forming Châteaux
Pavie and Pavie-Decesse, with the Macquin family following suit, purchasing parcels
and creating Pavie Macquin.
The 37-hectare, Premier Grand Cru Classé A Pavie
estate has been in the hands of the Perse family since 1998 and sits on three different
levels. On the southern slope of the Saint-Émilion hill, it is one of the largest in the
appellation, containing a mix of 60% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc and 15% Cabernet
Sauvignon. Enhanced by a low yield approach and sophisticated facilities, the wines
are highly individual and elegant, displaying a comprehensive level of complexity.