Situated on the highest knoll in Margaux, this Second Growth Grand Cru Classé estate was the property of the Lascombe family for three generations, right up to the French Revolution, before passing through the hands of a multitude of owners and coming to rest with the Gineset family, then owners of Château Margaux, in 1926.
The estate was used as the Allied HQ during World War II. In 2001 it was purchased for $67 million and the new owners reportedly spent another $47 million renovating the estate, constructing a new winery and replanting the vineyards.
Its 118 hectares are planted in 50% Merlot, 45% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Petit Verdot. Its terroir is some of the finest in Margaux.
Here, old traditions and new technologies combine to produce powerful and concentrated wines full of fruity elegance. It is arguably the most modern style of Margaux around, ripe and fleshy, with plenty of new oak that needs time to come together. The estate’s various plots are somewhat scattered, contributing to a heightened degree of complexity in the wines.
Margaux, Bordeaux, France
Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon