CHATEAU CLOS FOURTET
Premier Grand Cru Classé producer Clos Fourtet started life in the Middle Ages as a
defensive fort designed to protect the town of Saint-Émilion, with the château itself built
by the Rulleau family in the 18th Century.
The estate was purchase by the Ginestets in
1919, who on-sold it to finance their purchase of Château Margaux in 1949. From there
it passed to the Lurtons, who traded it to current owners, the Cuvelier family, in 2001.
Clos Fourtet has resoundingly confirmed its designated status, much assisted by the
hard work and major investments of the Cuveliers. Their whatever-it-takes approach
involves sustainable farming methods with an increasingly biodynamic focus.
hectares under vine consist of 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet
Franc, and a sizeable 12 hectares of underground cellars are cut out of the limestone
bedrock. The ubiquitous Stéphane Derenoncourt once again raises his head, employed
here as consultant. The wine is delightfully fresh, spicy and textural, with a strong