Located within the Margaux appellation, Chateau Kirwan was accorded the first of the Third Growth titles in the famed classification of the Medoc in 1855. Now over 400 years old, the property was acquired in 1751 by Irishman Mark Kirwan, who renamed it, naturally enough, Chateau Kirwan, and set about elevating its standards to good effect. The chateau has been owned since 1904 by prominent Bordeaux merchants,
the Schyler family, with members of successive generations overseeing its management. The Kirwan expressions display excellent concentration and well-defined fruit profiles, while retaining the sumptuous character that is a hallmark of the Margaux wines. They are some of the most powerful and elegant to be found within this famous appellation.