CHATEAU DU TERTRE
With a history that stretches back to 1143, Château du Tertre is one of the oldest
properties on Bordeaux’ Left Bank, and it sits regally atop one of the highest gravelinfused
rises in Margaux.
The 80-hectare property has 52 hectares under vine in a
single block that is one of the largest in the appellation. It is one of the few 1855
Classified Growths remaining unchanged in size since that time, when it was ranked as
one of eighteen Fifth Growths. It is planted in 43% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot,
19% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot.
Originally established by Irishman Pierre
Mitchell, founder of the first glassworks in Bordeaux, du Tertre has been in the hands of
the Jelgersma family (then known in Margaux as the owners of Château Giscours)
since 1997. With careful management combined with some serious investment, the
Jelgersmas continue on an upward arc of quality and elegance.